Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Marginalia

Marginalia: marginal notes or embellishments in a book. Annotation fits the bill, too. In any event, I mark the margins of my books with lines, words, asterisks and stars. Petite asides in the margins of the books I read is meaningful, especially since I reread books in my library. Many times when I reopen pages, I look first for my cryptic messages, or the definitions to new-found words, or straight-lined edges of a section to remind me something here is important. Finding them is like coming across sweet morsels strewn on a wooded path.

In Chapter Two of The Little Guide To Your Well-Read Life, Steve Leveen reasons why readers should mark up their books. Leveen described "those who write in books as Footprint Leavers and those who do not as Preservationists."Important writers, even mathematicians, have contributed significantly to the role of marginalia, he notes. For examples, visit www.yourwellreadlife.com/footnote.

Local libraries frown on personalizing reading material, and in deciding which donated books to shelve in their collections––annotated copies will, most likely, go elsewhere. You need to know this if you intend to donate books filled with notes and comments. On the other hand, consider the largesse of meaning those scribbles and notes might hold for an unassuming reader––cryptic thoughts, feelings, and opinions, or Aha! moments waiting to be discovered by a fresh eye.

One verse from Billy Collins's poem, Marginaliawww.poemhunter.com sizes it up:
      We have all seized the white perimeter as our own
      and reached for a pen if only to show
      we did not just laze in an armchair turning pages;
      we pressed a thought into the wayside,
      planted an impression along the verge.


Consider, also, Harvard University's open collections' program on reading and marginalia: http://ocp.hul.harvard.edu/reading/marginalia.html
Marginalia provide unique records of the reader’s experience. Offering insights into how and why a reader reads, marginalia take many forms. These range from glosses on difficult words or passages and lengthier notes on the meaning of a text, to illustrations and personal marks used to denote passages of particular interest. While marginalia are often highly systematic, they are also as individualistic: every reader’s engagement with a text is unique. Marginalia shed light on the mental, emotional, and intellectual process of reading, as well as changing historical patterns of reading practice.

6 comments:

  1. Although I've underlined a few key quotes in novels and scribbled questions in textbooks, the only book I've felt comfortable marking up is my Bible. I grew up knowing that my books would always be handed to (or sold to) someone else, and this thought always made me scribble on Post-it notes and in journals rather than directly in margins. I get excited when I see evidence of the life a book has had before I met it, but I also feel super-conscious about someone else's thoughts being there as I'm reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, the first thing you do is catch what is not intended to be there by a publisher. Whoa! What's this in print or cursive in the margins, but like a divining rod, we're lured in to read it. We can, or cannot, be persuaded––depending on what is noted. The strength is in forming your own opinion.

      Delete
  2. I collect and read signed books. Not just signed by authors but books signed by the giver to the reciever. From tjose books I get two stories; the plot of the book itself, and the story connected to the signatures inside the cover.
    :-> VaVa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit to having a shelf (shelves) dedicated to books autographed by their authors––thank you book fairs, conferences, and author reading groups. I've also began collecting vintage postcards with messages (most used as bookmarks inside used books), and I delight in finding equivalents of footnotes in gently-used/read books. I frequent The Book Exchange in North Palm Beach, Florida.

      Delete
  3. Throughout public schools, we were not allowed to write anything on the books. Each book ever issued to me had been through many hands and would go through many more. Embracing marginalia now is hard. Plus, I believe that most of my books may have future appreciate owners who may not appreciate my musings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Mr. Anonymous
    This was a confessional. Thank you for sharing, and you can embrace it. There are many who would and should value the courage of your journey of your Marginalia.

    ReplyDelete