Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Mary Oliver, #1

      Mary Oliver––of Pulitzer Prize and National Book Award merit.
      I don't know when my fascination with her writing began, but I have read and reread many of Ms. Oliver's poems for years. Her poetic magnets for me have been and still are: a sensitive simplicity, perceptive detail, wisdom, delicacy, grace, beauty and a fascination for the natural world. Her thoughts and words resonate with my own world, and perhaps that's justification enough for the draw to her writing. At times, her poetry reminds me of Anne Morrow Lindbergh's prose, but I might stand alone in that regard as I've not read a similar comment.
     If you are freshly introduced (or not) to Mary Oliver, perhaps one poem's rendering here might encourage you to seek out a volume or two of her writings.
     I chose this prose poem because it fits into the beginning of a new year.

       
                   Don't Hesitate
If you suddenly and unexpectedly feel joy, don't hesitate. Give in to it. There are plenty of lives and whole towns destroyed or about to be. We are not wise, and not very often kind. And much can never be redeemed. Still, life has some possibility left. Perhaps this is its way of fighting back, that sometimes something happens better than all the riches or power in the world. It could be anything, but very likely you notice it in the instant when love begins. Anyway, that's often the case. Anyway, whatever it is, don't be afraid of its plenty. Joy is not made to be a crumb.

6 comments:

  1. I will definately make it a point to read Mary Oliver. Thank you for the suggestion.
    Frank

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frank: years after I began reading her words, we had the opportunity to hear/see in a "reading" at Lynn University. She is in her 80s, tiny, white haired, and filled with positive warmth. I took several of my volumes with me in a bag in the event she'd have a signing. She did. I'm very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Joy is not made to be a crumb." How liberating! There have been tims that I've snuffed joy because it was brought on by a seemingly inconsequential event. I won't let that happen again.

    RB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you, RB. I think all of us have had that experience. Some of us recognize it and, like you, resolve not to have it occur again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to see mention of e.e. cummings, one of my favorite poetic geniuses. Robert Frost is another great and I often think that "I have miles to go before I sleep'! Loving the poetry blogs and sites, just trying to find the time for visits. Terrific work and dedication Donna. Judy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Judy, for commenting. Every month I change the "timelines." There's so many wonderful authors and poets, past and present. I read or remember their beginnings––and the timelines are nice reminders Over time and with perseverance these writers held onto what they believed. They earned their accolades, awards, and published books. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete