Saturday, December 7, 2013

Typography and Fonts

     A day late, but for good reason. I haven't informed you, dear readers, that I've taken on "yet one more thing."  Beekeeping! 
     There. I've told you. It's said, but you, my readers are astute enough that you knew that just by seeing my beekeeper's badge displayed here. Oh, I've digressed too far. I'll return to this wonderful preoccupation at a later time, AND the wonderful place it now holds in my writing world. Who knew!

     Moving to the post for today, typography. 
     I follow several blogs. Blogging that covers a wide range of personal interests. Bloggers who are, I feel, like kindred spirits. As time permits, I write comments on something that has resonated with me on those blogs. I regret I don't let everyone know I appreciate this/that/or the other about what has stirred them enough to dedicate time and effort to an idea, thought, or observation. But I read them, nonetheless, and many times I smile.
     So it is with blogger Rob Bowker and his blog, Typewriter Heaven.
     Rob writes on and ruminates about typewriters––old, manual typewriters that he studies, acquires and repairs. Visit his blog, and you'll find the full range of his interests is done through typecasting. His posts speak to me, a doe-eyed "wanna have" for '50s/'60s manual typewriters. Through Rob and his blog, I'm learning. Ahem, thank you Rob.
     In mid-November, Rob posted an animated film that he credits his sister for passing along to him. I have watched this delightful short many times, and am grateful for its opening up "yet one more thing" (read that as yet one more "interest").
     Without further ado, I share The History of Typography––Animated Short, a paper-letter anima-tion done by Ben Barrett-Forester about the history of fonts and typography. I hope you'll enjoy it.


     While you, dear readers soak up this film, I must check my third (and new) hive. Winter in South Florida moves in even as my fingers move across this keyboard, and I must "feed" my darlings.
    
In the meantime, I hope you appreciate the next newspaper, journal, or book you read for its legacy of the printed word. 

No comments:

Post a Comment