Friday, December 27, 2013

Books of 2013

     While I'm not sure of this, I would wager we writers/readers march into every new year with a promise of reading books––and sticking to the promise. First, we need to create a list. Trés importante! Second, find the time. Trés, trés importante! Third, READ and WRITE!!!!!
     I began 2013 with a list (same as with 2012). I end this year (as I did the previous) without having had enough time for #s 2 and 3. And if you could see me now, you'd know I'm shrugging shoulders, turning down corners of my mouth while simultaneously raising my eyebrows––much like a c'est la vie! expression.
     A new plan is warranted. I've been mulling over a few scenarios in the last week, and I think I'm onto something for the new year. I'm not overloading the reading list. Period. So simple! I am adhering to "read & write" each day. Period. So simple!
     As ideas sifted in my head about how I would (if ever) catch up, how I would enter new titles on the upcoming list and read them, and still write––I remembered a blog I posted in July titled Setting Priorities. I searched back for it. Read it. Digested it. Accepted it.
     For 2014, I will include the following "catch up" on my reading list:
  • Unread issues of Glimmer Train;
  • Unread issues of The Sun;
  • McSweeney's 15
  • Sing You Home, Jodi Picoult
  • My Ántonia, Willa Cather
  • The Red Thread, Ann Hood
  • The New Desert Reader, ed. Peter Wild
  • Homer & Langley, E. L. Doctorow
THEN, and only THEN will I begin the reading list designated for 2014, which I will limit so as to WRITE, WRITE, WRITE in the between!

     By Easter, which is designated April 20th, I should have wended my way through the "catch up." I will remind myself to tell you how this proceeds by that time. Now, astute readers, remember that Glimmer Train and The Sun will still be arriving in my mailbox, and something will have to be done with those, right? 
     Of course, I had a rich reading year of what I did read. Yes, indeed. Should you be interested in some of those rewarding titles––whistle, and I'll be happy to pass them onto your 2014 Reading List. In the meantime, I wish you a healthy, happy, and productive reading and writing 2014.

1 comment:

  1. There is a saying in Spanish (it rhymes in the original language) that roughly translated states: A person plans but God decides.

    Best wishes to you with the plan, but be ready to grab other opportunites that may come your way. It's OK.

    RB

    ReplyDelete