Friday, March 1, 2013

Creativity Multiplied

     More than once I have observed that the work and process I invest into writing is no different than the investment I make in the study of classical piano. Both require mind and body to work together as partners. Both require discipline and dedication to increase skill and confidence. Both require principles of relaxation, visualization, and concentration. To enhance the flow of words to paper and the flow of notes to keys, requires my inner muse to stay by my side.
     Equally interesting is the time needed for incubating, distancing, illuminating, and verifying. For instance, the writing process:
  • the mulling around or incubating of a character or tone. The subconscious simmers with possibilities if I leave it alone, and I'm rewarded with insights and solutions when I return.
  • distancing and illuminating work hand-in-hand. When I put mental distance between myself and the project by taking a small break to let it incubate––I return refreshed because I've been, in a way, "working" while cooking, gardening, or driving. It's a paradox, I admit.


  • Donna's desk with the tools
    for practice, writing, and study.
  • verifying is testing what I've done in the other two processes.  Only then is the project ready for rewriting, for smoothing out the wrinkles, for polishing and perfecting until I'm satisfied with the final version.
  • acquiring the language of writing, whether fiction or poetry.
Here are my writing tools:
  • a writing surface (desk)
  • pen, pencil, and paper 
  • journal-type books
  • reference books
  • computer, a mechanical instrument made up of keys
  • item for inspiration (a snake skin in a plastic baggy)

   The process for piano study is quite similar:    
  • incubating, the mulling around, of time and key signatures, to think and feel musically. The subconscious simmers if I leave it alone. I'm rewarded with insights and solutions when I return.
  • distancing and illuminating work hand-in-hand. When I put mental distance between myself and a piece by taking a small break, or practicing scales, or some other piano activity, I allow the music to incubate for just the right time––I come back to it refreshed. Even if I return a day later, I'll have resolved playing/fingering/notation issues because I've been, in a way, "working" while cooking, gardening, or driving. Again, it's a paradox, but one that works

  •      
    Donna's Baldwin with the tools
    for practice, writing and study.
  • verifying or recognizing patterns is similar to what I've done in the other two processes. I concentrate, in practice and study, on melody, rhythmical harmony, and finger patterns. It makes for better sight reading and improves memorization and interpretation. Only then am I ready for polishing and perfecting the details.
  • acquiring the language of music for the piano.
    Here are my piano tools:
      • a piano, a mechanical instrument made up of keys
      • #2 pencils (no pens allowed)
      • metronome
      • lesson books
      • sheet music
      • book of blank music sheets 
      • items for inspiration (angel quartet with string instruments)

           Relating these similarities, reinforces for me, that writing and piano study complement each other. My piano is my computer, and the tools vary only by what the discipline requires.

           Writers are artists, and art takes many forms. If another art form is in your life, have you been able to identify with the similar traits?


      4 comments:

      1. You have successfully connected writing to playing the piano--two activities that to me have had little in common other than the artistry. Even that connection is thin because writing is creative whereas playing the piano is expressive. I would have thought poetry reading more akin to playing the piano; similary with composing a musical piece and writing. Thank you for expanding my self-imposed boundaries. Your argument is robust and compelling indeed.

        RB

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Thank you, RB, for your words. I confess to being confused by its end. My belief is that both are creative and both are expressive––same coin, two sides. It's interesting you draw poetry into the mix. I'll have to think about this. Thanks, again.

          Delete
      2. *Nudge* These tools of the trade speak to the dedication and time both crafts require, and as a guitar player, I understand the connection in processes. I want to touch on RB's point though, about writing being creative and piano playing being expressive--the converse is true! Writing is expressive and playing the piano can be creative. Each writer creates using a "voice" that is developed through expression. Each musician creates his own style and interpretation in the way they play. The mechanism is different, but the result--art--is beauty.

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. This is a thoughtful comment, Maxie, and on two fronts––my words re similar creative processes in writing and piano, and your words addressing RB's comments. I agree that "voice" is intrinsic to both, and both, as you say, result in beauty when dedicated concentration is applied. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

          Delete