Friday, March 7, 2014

Writing Alongside Music

     Do you write alongside music? Do you write with music streaming from another room? How does it work for you––or doesn't it?
     Music carries me through the day––from early morning coffee (New Age) to winding down for sleep with violin and piano melodies. Dione, John, Lang, jazz, and a mix of classic '60's and '70's  help while I prepare dinner. When I need an energy boost, there's something contemporary to be found on Sirius Radio.
     I take my iPhone out to the Cathedral of my garden where it serves up background music for the myriad birds, rustling leaves, and buzzing bees (two hives). Nothing gyrating or pulsing, just favorites off my Playlist to encourage enjoyment of and reverence for the natural world.
     This year marks my fifth year of piano instruction. I've come to the ivory and ebony late in life. The learning, the listening, the act of two hands training to act in disciplined independence is immensely rewarding. I listen to Mozart, Beethoven, and contemporary pianists with a new ear. Music, especially piano music, uplifts me, and I wonder why the nuances, the subtleties of music listening had escaped me for so long.
Illustration by Izar Cohen
     Sitting at my computer a few weeks back, in what felt like the zillionth draft of a story, I became aware of gliding as a feather through the tedium of it. GlidingFeatherInconceivable!
     There was a difference from previous rewrite times, and the difference was I was proofing/editing with background music. Nothing emotional, loud, or grating. No. The music was soft and harmonious. An invitation to my creative muse.
     I leaned back in my chair. I was not performing a mindless task. Yet, I was productive in the task at hand. The music didn't distract me. Rather, it inspired my focus. Revelation, chance, or fact?
     I bring to your attention an article published in The Wall Street Journal (2/18/2013) titled "Music Ability Helps Reading." Check it out. I've also found other studies in the same vein prove the same outcome.
     Since the opportune discovery of writing alongside music, I've begun to do more of the same. I've decided discordant notes do NOT work, nor do arias or high-pitched lyrics––too heart pounding, too distracting. But when I chose to have backdrop music in my fiction and poetry writing, and reading––and by that I mean harmonious music, music in the tempo of my story and/or characters––it reveals itself to be a part-to-part relationship. And what I think is a good partnership.
     I'll end as I began: Do you write or read alongside music? Do you write or read with music streaming from another room? How does it work for you––or doesn't it? Do let me know, please.

6 comments:

  1. Sometimes I get more into the music than my reading or typing. Then at times I love to read and / or type to music. Depends on the music.

    Reading and writing to Classical seems to work best. Sometimes with typing I will attempt to type to the beat if the song is lively.

    Never too late to learn something new, piano or otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit, Bill, I need be careful when writing or proofing something that I don't fall prey to just listening to music and not staying with the job at hand. But now that I write with music as a backdrop, it seems there is a new sound on my pages. Sweet!

      Delete
  2. Great writing, Donna. I share the feelings about music to the point that I recently purchased an electronic keyboard at an estate sale and have been practicing, "Ode to Joy." Maybe five years from now we can play a duet? It will require a lot more practice on my part. Thanks for sharing. I miss you and my friends from the writer's group. See you all soon. Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Important things first––we sorely miss you, so hurry back, please.
      I'm glad you've taken up the keyboard, Frank. It's never too late!! I look forward to a duet with you, and I'l bet it'll be sooner than five years.

      Delete
  3. You are fortunate that music, the right music for the moment, is your creative assistant. For some unknown reason, it has the opposite effect on me. Noise is neutral--it doesn't help me or inhibit me because I can tune it completely out. The noise could be from a nearby conversation, construction activity, traffic din--anything, as long as it's not music. When it is, I have to surrender to it.

    RB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Donna! Thank you so much for your visit and empathy. I love music all the time, except when I'm writing poetry, for some reason I have to have quiet. :-) Love your photos, and thought provoking words.

    ReplyDelete