Saturday, October 12, 2013

A Dreamed-for Writing Shed


I want one of these: a dedicat-
ed place to write and create––a modest, outdoor building solidly anchored to the floor of my back garden, preferably near a few trees but not too close to the beehives. It would be a stand-alone place that would take me away from the house both mentally and physically, a haven where I could think or be inspired. 
     I picture this outpost as a poetic vision of a shed––modest of size, yet big enough for two pooches to lounge in my midst. The structure would
reflect me as environmentally friendly, unique, eclectic, and of a loving nature. It would be adorned with a covered porch or deck with a comfortable chair or two, and small-paned windows with heat-reflective glass. There would be no doubt left to the "fly on the wall," as to who occupies this tiny dwelling.

The space would contain deep boards (waist high) braced along two walls to hold a printer and other requisites of writing, with a pull-up chair to help in that process. Above the boards would be built-in shelves or cubby holes for books and files. A cupboard would house supplies, and a cork bulletin board would post notes. Shades or blinds would cool the interior. A carpet, most likely a runner, would cover some floor.
     Electric wiring would run the ceiling fan, printer, a few lamps, an electric teapot, and an under-counter refrigerator. A seating area, probably a used loveseat with a colorful and soft throw on an armrest, would provide a less-rigid place on which to contemplate ideas or to welcome a guest. A small table would sit nearby to hold a mug and a few books.
     For a number of years, I collected home design books filled with ideas for a future one-room writing space. When Pinterest entered my life, I created Cabins 'n Cottages, Retreats, and Writing Cottages boards to which I've pinned other images and plans.
     Books and Boards reflect a deep-seated desire to have a secluded, away-from-the-room-filled-with-distractions in which I currently write. Authors of every stripe have or have had their version of a "writer's cave," and for the same reasons I hold for myself.  I'm set. Now all I need is the money and the permits, because I sure have a plan.

    Have you ever envisioned a nurturing retreat away from the distractions of the home for your writing? Have you dreamed about a small enclosed space, simple in design and surrounded by natural landscape? 
    Check out Tumbleweed Tiny House CompanyNantucket Sheds, and Tiny House Blog for inspiring ideas for yourself.

5 comments:

  1. Sure would be nice to have a place like that. Here in Florida it would need insulated, air conditions, and meed 2012 hurricane standards. Expensive.

    That looks like a right smart Olympia SM3 or SM4 in the last photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and you're onto typewriters, how great! Check this site out, it's one of my favorites oztypewriter.blogspot.com

      Delete
  2. I can "see" your writing cave, with all its details, by reading your post. Perhaps some of your readers who may have such a retreat, for either writing or any reflective activity, would share the particulars here.

    RB

    PS: I have a belated comment on last week's post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't heard from anyone yet who has a writing cave. Would love to, though!! And I'm running right over to last week's post for your comment. Thanks a mint.

      Delete
  3. I love your description of the writing space. The closest I've come to this is a Cedar House B&B in Dahlonega, GA, that has yurts set in the trees.

    ReplyDelete